Winter break is over, you’ve cozied back into your dorm, and you’ve conquered your first week of classes. These first couple weeks can be make or break and have an impact on the rest of the semester! Here’s how to make this semester your best one yet:
- Plan ahead. Fill your agenda with all exam dates so nothing takes you by surprise. It may feel silly filling up your month of April with every future project, test and assignment that you won’t think about for another three months, but you will definitely thank yourself for this one later! This way, if you get stuck with three midterms and a research paper due on the same day you can start mentally preparing now…
- Change your routine. Try something new, maybe join a new club or start going to a gym. With over 800 student organizations and endless resources and opportunities at UNC, there’s a niche for everyone. Breaking out of your comfort zone can be an amazing way to not only better yourself, but also meet new people. If there’s ever a time in life to try something new, the time is now. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a hidden passion!
- Make a schedule. Once you get into your routine, document it. Use an online schedule maker, some pretty fonts, and bright colors, print it, and hang it on your wall. This way, you don’t need to scroll through your screenshots every Monday to figure out which room number you’re heading to or what time your gym class starts.
- Clear the air with your roomie. Maybe you and your roomie didn’t get along as well as you hoped. Truth of the matter is, you have a whole semester left together, and it will be much easier if you guys are on the same page. Clear communication is the best way to make your expectations a reality, so strike up a conversation!
- Redecorate your dorm. This is the space that you probably spend a lot of time in, so it can be rejuvenating to give it a refresh! This doesn’t require intensive crafting, it could be as simple as printing some new pictures to make your room a little more homey. Be sure to capture some of those mems you made last semester on your walls!!
- Set your goals high. Make goals (and write them down) to keep yourself on track. Think of this like New Year’s Resolutions (that you’ll actually keep) for your academics. Maybe it’s to never skip class, or actually keep up with all the course reading. The key here is to make them attainable rather than astronomically unrealistic, this will make you feel amazing when you reach them, and your GPA will thank you!
- Beat procrastination early. Don’t let syllabus week be an opportunity to slack off. Prepare all your work while you have the free time and set the tone for the semester. You’ll be much better off with #6 if you do this!
Maybe it’s your second semester, maybe it’s your eighth – regardless, this semester still brings about the opportunity to make it the best one yet. Have a positive attitude and Summer break will be here before you know it!