Where to Nap on Campus

It’s that time in the semester. All the exams and deadlines start to blur together. The library becomes your second home.  And all you want is one real good nap.

Sometimes, you just need to take a quick break and recharge the ol’ noggin. Let me tell you about some of the spots you can catch a quick snooze.

The Bottom Floor of the Undergraduate Library

The super long curvy couch on the bottom floor of the UL is a solid nap spot. There’s enough room to bring along some friends and rock a group nap! The only thing is that it’s right at the entrance of that room, so you’re kind of being ~presented~ to everyone walking in. I’m insecure about my sleeping face but if you’re a normal person, it’s probably fine.

The Beanbags in the Aquarium Lounge, Student Union

These aren’t the most comfortable for napping in, but they’ll do. They’re like long beanbags, which you’d think would be great for sleeping. But I tried to lie down in one of those and I was a little disappointed. It’s structured like a chair, so it’s better for a relaxed sit rather than a full-on sleep. I mean, who designed those things? What did they think I would do in it? Sit and do work? It’s an okay place for desperate shut-eye, but it’s not the best. 2/5 stars.

Class of 2000 Lounge, Student Union

Okay, I’m honestly kind of conflicted about including this because it’s such a primo location. So please keep this between us. It’s usually pretty empty, and there’s a bunch of long chairs ready to cradle your tired body. Plus, it’s typically pretty quiet in there. It’s basically a sanctuary, 10/10. Please don’t all rush in there at once.

The Quad

It’s warm out. The sun is shining. You decide to lie down on the grass. You open your laptop fully intending to work on that paper you’ve been putting off. Then all of a sudden, that *sweet* breeze hits and you fall asleep on your keyboard. Of course, this only works during the warmer seasons. As long as you don’t mind the possibility of getting hit with a frisbee, the quad is a solid nap spot.

Meditation Room, Student Union

Apparently, in 2016, the Carolina Union changed the Meditation Room policy to allow for naps.  I’ve personally never been in there, but according to my friends who have, it’s great for a snooze. It’s quiet and peaceful, and I hear it’s not too crowded.

A Desk, Any Library

Sometimes you just need the quickest of power naps. Just scoot some of your stuff around and make a small space to rest your head. And make sure to set an alarm! You can take a quick rest, then get right back to work. Peak efficiency.

These are just a few of the cozy spots on campus. Let me know if I didn’t mention one of your favorite sleep spots! You can comment on this blog post, or let us know on social media.

Now get to napping!