Living On Campus: It’s More Than Just A Dorm

Many believe that housing is simply a place to eat and sleep but what they may not realize is that it is all that and so much more. Though it is a requirement to live on campus and I didn’t really have a choice, I would say that it was the best decision made for me and I’m going to tell you why.

Roomate on the right.
Picture of my roommate and I.

Well first, there’s change (and not like the quarters you don’t have in your pockets because being a broke college student is real 😅).  Most of us may not be used to change, as we have lived with our parents all our lives, known the same people since we were kids and have become familiar and comfortable with everything around us. However, when college comes around everything you know changes, including yourself. Living with a complete stranger seems very intimidating as you’re forced to share a small place in an environment that is far from anything like home. Yet, I truly am grateful that I was able to have this experience because I met such an amazing person that I can actually call a friend. In retrospect, living with a random person seemed like a disaster waiting to happen but it’s cool to see how a genuine friendship was formed. However, with friendships comes hardship. You and your roommate or even your new-found friends might not always see eye to eye but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t live together or you shouldn’t be friends. This is where the change happens. You learn to compromise, be understanding and respectful which helps you grow as an individual, a friend and/or roommate. You may not be buddy buddy with your roommate or those around you but explore the possibilities to hopefully have the chance to gain amazing friendships.

Picture of my friends and I on our first halloween night.

The experience in college are like no other. Of course the main priority when coming to college is to obtain that nice GPA and degree so you can go on with your life and have a successful career and future. However, once you come to college you’ll soon realize that’s only the beginning. Since you have sooo much time and freedom in college, you are able to explore and spend your leisure time however you chose. If you or a friend happen to have a car, you can take a quick trip to Raleigh, explore the Triangle area, go to concerts and so much more. Since senior year of high school I’ve been wanting to go to see The Weeknd in concert but my mom was not having it. So once I got to college, my friends and I road tripped all the way down to South Carolina which was an 8 hour drive to and back and had the best times of our lives. Singing throwback songs in the car for hours and having minor heart attacks when someone would drive too intense (mostly me) made the trip even worth while and was something I never thought I would be able to experience. I also got to experience my first Halloween night (yes I’ve never been out for halloween, sad I know) and it was a great time. Ordering our costumes months before, getting ready with makeup and nails, taking pictures and finally going out was something I’ll never forget. Overall, there’s many more experiences you can encounter while you’re in college. Enjoy the times you have and the memories you makes and cherish the friends that make it special. Makes these four years the best that you can because time flies when you’re having fun.

My friend and I at a photoshoot for black girls of Class 2021.

Besides the memories and experiences you make by living on campus, there are some amazing perks you may not have realize until you have actually moved in. Well one thing is that almost everyone here is always willing to help. From the day you step font on campus to move in, there is endless support, as I didn’t expect a group of students (Haulin’ Heels) so eager to help me move ALL my luggage and items into my dorm. Everyone was so welcoming and nice, it made me feel at ease and comfortable which made the transition from high school to college easier. Also throughout the year, there were endless events coordinated by students and organizations that provided free food, swag items and a great opportunity to explore campus and meet new people. So although it may be nerve-wracking to try new things and get out of your comfort zone, I highly encourage you to do so because you’ll soon come to realize that college is all about being comfortable with the uncomfortable, as you’re exposed to new and different people and experiences.