4 Reasons Why I Miss Taking Classes

Believe it or not, the summer can get pretty boring when you don’t have your classes to worry about. Although I’m still living in Chapel Hill for the summer, it’s not the same when you don’t see 30,000 of your fellow Tar Heels running around campus everyday. I never thought I’d say this, but I can’t wait for August to come back around when classes will start for the Fall 2018 semester.

I know many of you reading this are rising First-Years, so you haven’t yet had the chance to gain the Carolina experience. With that being said, you may think I’m crazy for missing school of all things, but you will soon see! Let me lay down 4 reasons why the academic school year (roughly August-April) is the best part of UNC’s year.

1. Seeing all of my friends 

Remember in high school, when you got to see your friends in class everyday–that was pretty cool, right? Now, imagine you can still take classes with your friends, but you also live right down the street from them, or maybe even in the same building! College is a great place to make friends, or hang out with the ones that you already have.

It’s so nice to be able to grab lunch with someone once a week, rather than just keep up with their summer adventures on social media and chat every now and then. If any of my friends are reading this, I MISS YOU!!

2. I genuinely enjoy my classes!

College is great because I get to explore whatever academic interests I like! For that reason, my classes usually end up being pretty fun. I have great professors, and a TON of awesome resources on campus in case I ever have any trouble with my homework.

I’m really excited for a class I’m taking this fall, POLI 236 – Politics of East-Central Europe. This is a new topic to me, so I’m really excited to learn more about the world with this course for one of my majors!

3. Athletics (go TAR HEELS!!!)

While there are some intramural sports during the summer, they just don’t have the same effect on me as our varsity D1 games. Whether it’s a Saturday football game against Florida State or a trip to the Dean Dome to see the MBB team beat Wake Forest, athletics are one of my favorite parts about the school year!

It’s great to take a break from the library and head down to support our favorite Tar Heel teams.

4. Campus events

Starting during the Week of Welcome in August and continuing through finals in early May, there’s always something fun going on around campus. From our annual Fall Fest to the Jubilee concert each spring, us Tar Heels are always having a great time somewhere on campus. Check out this link to see some more of what I’m looking forward to!

Thanks for reading! I can’t wait to see you all campus this fall as we embark on another year of classes 🙂