How to Make the Most of Your Dorm Room Space

Making a dorm room your “second home” for a school year can be a daunting task. Given that you have limited dorm space, it is vital to organize your room to utilize as much space as possible. By following this guide, you will be able to bring more of your personal items from home because you will have more space available. Here are some tips that have helped me turn my modest dorm room into a spacious home!  

1. Loft Your Bed

Lofting your bed can give you additional space, below your bed, that can be used for clothes, food, or a desk. Personally, lofting my bed gave me space for a couch in my dorm that I would of otherwise not had room for! After lofting my bed, I saw my storage space nearly double which makes this tip a must!

2. Staying Clutter-Free

Room clutter always seems to find a way to rear its ugly head when living somewhere. However, this problem can be limited by having different tools to ensure your room is organized. For example, a hamper for dirty clothes can serve as a way to ensure clothes do not begin to find homes on your floor. Additionally, a shoe rack that can hang from a closet door not only organizes your shoes, but also uses door-space that would of otherwise went unused!

3. Multi-Functional Furniture

Having a piece of furniture that has a double function can help eliminate the need to bring numerous furniture pieces. Why bring a shelf, and a chair, when you can find a piece that does both? For example, the Domus Chair is a chair that also provides storage space in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Multi-functional furniture is an excellent way to get the most storage space out of your dorm room!

4. Decorate Vertically

Utilizing the walls of your dorm room can make the room feel more spacious, and add a personalized aesthetic. For example, hanging decorative lights across the room uses upper wall space that would of been barren and makes the room more inviting. Posters, tapestries, and personal photos also make for great additions to dorm walls to make your new room feel like a home!

5. Coordinate With Your Roommate

Certain items, such as desks, shelves, and other furniture can be reorganized in order to create more space for your room. For example, my roommate and I put our two desks side-by-side in order to free up more space throughout the dorm. By communicating with your roommate, you can work personalize your room in order to create a layout that works for you both!

6. View Model Rooms Through 360 Interior Shots

An excellent resource that UNC provides is 360 degree interior shots of the residence hall rooms found on campus. This can help you gauge the size of your room, and give you ideas on what you could fill your dorm with! Below is an example of a 360 degree interior shot for the Hinton James Residence Hall. You can find this resource by going to maps.unc.edu , under the Buildings > Housing section.

For a college student, their dorm room is one of the most important aspects of their college experience. It’s where they sleep, study, and spend the majority of their time. For this reason, following these tips, and making the most of your dorm room space is essential!