Get Eco-Friendly for Earth Day

How to Make Every Day Earth Day

Let’s face it: you have been¬† too caught up in “finals mode” to realize that it’s Earth Day today! Though you may not have time to celebrate the Earth, hopefully you guys strive to live eco-friendly every day. Here are some tips to get started if you don’t know how:

• Liven up the room

I truly believe that a living plant in one’s room increases happiness by 200% . I’ve had a plant from IKEA since freshman year and let me tell you, it has made me appreciate the Earth so much more. There’s something cool about having something grow in your own room (not including mold!!!) Making an investment in going green becomes so much better when you can see what you’re saving.

If you stop by one of our pit sits this summer, keep an eye out and you may acquire one of our cool planting kits:

• Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

You have probably heard the mantra like ten thousand times. However, this elementary motto does make for a pretty good checklist. Have you been reducing your usage of light, water, and waste lately? Do you make an effort to live a sustainable lifestyle? Do you use the blue recycle bin? Ask yourself these simple questions throughout the day, and you’ll be surprised by the answers.

• Don’t Ditch it. Donate It!

Each spring, Carolina Housing partners with the UNC Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling to make it easy for you to donate your unwanted but still usable items. Through the “Don’t Ditch It, Donate It!” program, UNC has saved nearly 500,000 pounds of unwanted items from entering local landfills.

Find out more information here:¬†Don’t Ditch it. Donate It!

• Invest in an eco-friendly lifestyle

No, I don’t mean going for a boho-chic look and buying tapestries. When I say investing in an eco-friendly lifestyle, I mean becoming a more informed and aware consumer. Buy reusable items, such as reusable water bottles and dishes, rather than disposable items. Bring a bag with you when you shop for groceries, so that you don’t have to use nasty ol’ plastic.

Even if you’ve never gone green before, it’s never too late to start! Now more than ever, the Earth needs us. Being a college student doesn’t have to stop us from making a difference.