RA Spotlight: Kane Cooper

Kane Cooper

Year: Junior

Residence Hall: Sustainability RLP RA in Morrison

Major: Biology and Chemistry

Other Extracurriculars: Band

Why did you decide to be an RA? My first year, I wasn’t “in the know” on a lot of things. I felt like my sophomore year I was more knowledgeable about everything, pretty much because of my RA. I really enjoyed talking with her and seeing how she enjoyed [being an RA]. I thought, “Huh, I think I might try it. It could be cool.”

How do you come up with ideas for events? At first, I used Pinterest, but after that I wondered how I could personalize it. Some people said that they would want to do things like trivia, so I took note of what people said that they wanted. I kind of ask myself, “Would I come to the event?”

How have you been able to manage your time? It’s a lot of late nights, but it gets done. It’s definitely become a lot more about using my time efficiently, but I have a planner where I have everything written down on it. Planning has become a lot more of a reliance for me.

How has being an RA impacted your experience at Carolina? I would say it’s definitely positively impacted my experience. Now I feel more connected with the community and the people here. The residents are really cool and involved with the community in general. People come together a lot more in Morrison, and it’s just a fun time.