How To Host a Friendsgiving

“Thanksgiving is about following tradition; Friendsgiving is about making new ones.”

Hey y’all! Thanksgiving break is coming up soon, and I’m sure you guys are excited to see your family again. It kind of sucks not being able to celebrate Thanksgiving with your friends from college- but fear not! Friendsgiving has been a popular event for people who don’t get to spend the holiday with one another. It’s basically Thanksgiving, except with your friends!

I had my first Friendsgiving with my suitemates last year, and it turned out to be one of the most memorable events of my first year. If you’re interested in establishing your own Friendsgiving, I have some advice to make it great.

Great Friends = Great Friendsgiving

How to Host a Friendsgiving to Remember!

• Pick a time and place

Yeah, I know it seems like basic advice. But picking a time and venue where everyone can meet can be difficult. My suite held our Friendsgiving in the Ehringhaus lounge and found it to be the perfect place. I highly recommend looking into your residence hall’s lounge for Friendsgiving (plus- chances are it’s close to the kitchen)!

• Assign roles

To have a successful Friendsgiving, everyone needs to play a part! Do you have that one friend who bakes cookies for everyone during midterms? Designate that friend as head chef amongst your friends. If you’re not as savvy in the kitchen, don’t worry! You can help out by buying utensils, ingredients, and decorating.

• Food

You can’t have a proper Friendsgiving without food! Friendsgiving isn’t meant to be as extravagant as Thanksgiving, so don’t worry about breaking your wallet. A turkey is a great homage to tradition, but a chicken makes a fine substitute. Think about investing in foods that will feed a lot of people for low cost. Macaroni and cheese and biscuits are some examples of great foods to invest in.

The Friendsgiving platter is important!

Whether you plan on having a Friendsgiving or not, be sure to take time to be thankful.

Don’t know how you’re getting home for Thanksgiving? Check out this PDF:

Thanksgiving2017