Studying abroad with On-Campus Housing

Way easier than subleasing. Trust me.

Hey fellow Tar Heels! The on-campus housing application opens soon (Oct. 23!!!), and I know there are a lot of things to consider. One of the reasons why I’m living on-campus next year is because of UNC Housing’s flexible study abroad policies! If you’re thinking of taking a semester abroad, here are some FAQs that can clarify any questions you may have:

How do I apply for UNC housing if I want to study abroad?

You would go through the same application process as a student that wants to live on campus. For students planning to go abroad in the fall, we suggest that they apply for on campus housing in the even that their study abroad plans fall through. For those going abroad in the spring, students will sign up for housing and we will cancel the spring portion of their contract without penalty.

What are important dates I should know?

·         November 1st – Spring housing application date

·         October 23rd – Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 application opens

·         November 26th – Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 application closes

How much will UNC housing cost if I study abroad for a semester?

There is no charge for on campus housing while you’re abroad.

How much is the cancellation fee for housing if I study abroad?

There is no cancellation penalty for students choosing to study abroad.

What happens if my roommate studies abroad for a semester?

·         If your roommate is going abroad for the fall, you can either try an fill that space with someone that will be leaving in the spring or we will try and fill the space with a 1 semester exchange student. We cannot guarantee or hold the space for their return in the spring. We can also work to reassign you to another room with your friend when we make room assignments for the spring.

·         If your roommate is abroad in the spring, you will have an opportunity to fill their space with another student. If you’re unable to find someone, we will open the space to another student to fill though our the assignment process. In limited cases we can offer the room as a single room buyout.

I hope you found this post informative and helpful! Wherever you decide to go abroad, I hope you consider living on campus when you get back.