5 Movies to Get You Pumped for College

Hey UNC fam! Welcome back to Chapel Hill! I don’t know about you guys, but I’m seriously ready to start anew. If you’re like me and need motivation- look no further! I’ve supplied five movies that will get you ready to tackle the year ahead.

Legally Blonde

Running Time: 96 minutes | Rated PG-13

Legally Blonde is the most of the “pump up” of the movie list. The story centers around the young, blonde, and cheerful Elle Woods. After getting dumped by her longtime boyfriend, she’s determined to get him back- by getting into Harvard Law School.

Legally Blonde is a treasure trove of wisdom. It not only shows you the power of hard work, but touches on topics such as stereotypes and feminism.

Did I mention that it also has one of the most motivational montages in movie history?

Good Will Hunting

Running Time: 126 minutes | Rated R

This movie will make you want to hit up the library more often. Matt Damon plays Will Hunting, a troubled teen who’s secretly a genius. When his talent is discovered by a professor, Will is pushed to reach his full potential.

The characters are written in such a way that I shed a tear or two. The relationship between Will and Sean inspires me to find that one super cool professor to be best friends with.

Mona Lisa Smile

Running Time: 117 minutes | Rated PG-13

I remember mindlessly browsing through Netflix when I came across this movie. I thought this movie would be about art thieves or something; turns out it’s about college girls and their art professor.(Kind of close?)

Julia Roberts plays Katherine Watson, a professor from California, who is hired to teach at Wellesley. She soon realizes that Wellesley is not nearly as progressive as she thought it would be- cue the drama!

The big theme of this movie is opening up to new perspectives even if they’re completely different from yours. It’s a pretty timeless theme that is good to keep in mind during any class discussion.

The Social Network

Running Time 120 minutes | Rated PG-13

You have probably heard of this movie. If you haven’t, you know what this movie is about: Facebook. This pretty inaccurate account of Facebook’s creation focuses on Mark Zuckerberg in his college years. It’s kind of crazy thinking that such a gigantic company was created by someone our age. I mean, I’m struggling to cook meals for myself as it is!

After watching this movie, I thought that maybe taking COMP 401 wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.

Animal House

Running Time: 109 minutes | Rated R

This movie is basically the college classic.

I hope these movies at the very least keep you entertained. Happy syllabus week!