maddie RA

RA Spotlight: Maddie Pontrelli

Everyone knows Resident Advisors are superheros. We like to shine the well-deserved spotlight on them, and the RA of the day is Maddie Pontrelli, a junior RA in Hinton James!

When did you decide to apply to be an RA?

After my first year.

Why did you decide to be an RA?

I wasn’t super close with my first year RA and wanted to be able to be that close RA for other first years.

What is your favorite part of being an RA?

Seeing my residents grow up and find what they’re passionate about both on and off campus.

What is your least favorite part?

Having to have difficult conversations sometimes where I have to draw the line between RA and friend.

What is a day in the life of an RA like?

A day in the life of an RA is fun! I’m a student first, but I get to spend time with residents and get to know what they’re interested in and passionate about. I love that they’re all so different and each and every one of them is capable of teaching me so much. A day in the life also includes me planning and implementing ways for them to get to know each other, me and hojo as a community. Knowing them and they’re interests makes it easier to plan fun events and exciting hang out time that they’ll get something out of.

If you could be an RA in any hall which one would it be and why?

If I could be an RA in res hall, I’d choose first years, but more specifically hojo. I love that first years are brand new to the college experience and I love that I am able to help guide them through their transition to college. I also love being a resource for them as they’re trying to find their fit on campus.

What else would you like people to know about being an RA?

Being an RA is challenging in so many ways: emotionally, physically, mentally etc. with that being said, I really can’t think of a more rewarding experience. It shapes your perspective on so many different things, and the life lessons you learn from your staff and community will carry with you long after you graduate. It’s a one of a kind opportunity and i wish everyone had the chance to experience it.

Tell us a funny story about being a RA.

One of my residents has a twin brother who lives on a different floor in hojo. One time I ran into the twin (not knowing it was the twin) and called him the wrong name and had a whole conversation with him while thinking it was my resident. He was too nice to correct me to he just went along with it.

If Maddie is your RA be sure to tell her thank you!