After The First Week

You did it! You survived your first week of college. Maybe you’ve already met the group of people that you’ll be best friends with for the next four years. Maybe you signed up for a ton of clubs you’re super interested in. Maybe you love all your classes and maybe your professors are super cool and understanding.

Or maybe not.

If all of these things happened to you, then that’s awesome! But chances are they didn’t. And that’s okay too.

With the prominence of social media on campus it may seem like everyone is already having the time of their life, while you’re just stressed, homesick, and lonely. While some of the lucky ones may actually be having the time of their lives, way more people than you realize feel exactly like you. I remember my first week of college I was constantly going back and forth between being ecstatic and being sad. One second I’d be walking through the Pit overwhelmed with how much I loved my school and the next second I’d be calling my mom crying.

So to all the first-years out there so aren’t loving it yet… don’t worry, you will. You made it through your first week, and it only gets better. Soon you’ll meet your new best friends. Soon that cute boy in your Bio 101 class will sit next to you. Soon you’ll find a club you’re passionate about and be able to get super involved. Soon you’ll love UNC (almost) as much as I do.
Because even when you’re having a bad day, it’s ALWAYS a great day to be a Tarheel.

-Jess