oatmeal-avocado-egg_gal

Best Oats Ever

How to spice up your boring dorm oatmeal

I have a confession: I don’t like ramen. I think it smells bad and tastes worse. I think it looks like a bad perm, which doesn’t do much for my appetite. I think the lack of nutritional value is matched by lack of taste. If I’m gonna eat something unhealthy, it better be delicious. What is really in those little flavor packets anyway? How could so much sodium deliver so little flavor? These are the questions that keep me awake at night. A solution to my lack of affinity for microwaved noodles is simple: oatmeal. It is so much healthier, so much more flavorful, and there is so much more you can do with it. Below I have compiled a list of all my favorite recipes with links to the original sites. This list is the result of lots of trial and error and lots of overflowed bowls. You’re welcome. And as my favorite English teacher once said – enjoy every bowl of oatmeal. Actually he said enjoy every sandwich, but I don’t really see how that’s relevant.

1. Never Ending Oatmeal. Ah, my favorite type of oatmeal, oatmeal that never ends. This is a basic, healthy recipe that serves as the base for lots of different add-ins. You can use this to create your own recipes, or just make a simple, tasty bowl of oats.
  2. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal. Satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious recipe. Best part? It’s still healthy!
  3. Oatmeal with Fried Egg and Avocado. This is probably the most labor intensive recipe, but it’s totally worth it. Check out some cooking supplies from your community office and you’ll have this made in no time. Perfect for sunday morning brunch!
  4. Oatmeal with Mango and Coconut. Sweet but not too sweet, and totally instagrammable.
  5. Chocolate Strawberry Hugs Oatmeal. This is what it would feel like if chocolate dipped strawberries could give hugs.
  6. Oatmeal with Cheddar and Scallions. This savory recipe is awesome because it makes a great meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Or at 2 am as you cram for your Psychology final.

Don’t be afraid to come up with your own recipes too! I firmly believe there’s not an ingredient that can’t taste good with oatmeal. Let me know if you find any good ones at jessschm@live.unc.edu or in the comments below. Happy oatmeal eating!
-Jess