Meet the Bloggers: Udara Fernando

$waggy

My Hometown: Cary, NC

My Year: Junior

My Major: Journalism (Advertising Sequence) & Biology; Hispanic Studies Minor

My Previous Homes: Ehringhaus, Morrison & Ram Village

My Campus Involvement: Los Caballeros Mentoring Program, SUCCEED Inc., Crash Campaign

My Email: udaraf12@live.unc.edu

What’s the coolest thing about housing?

As cheesy as it may sound: the sense of community that comes with it. There’s nothing like splitting a suite with 7 of your fellow Heels and becoming a #SuiteSquad that drags each other out of the dorm for 8AMs on the weekdays and drags each other back to the dorm at 2AM on the weekends. That’s family right there.

Do you have an insider tip for living on-campus?

Go beyond whatever floor you live on and do it early. If you live on the second floor, don’t just stay on the second floor. Go say what’s up to another floor early on, when everybody’s still getting to know each other. Don’t deprive yourself of meeting cool people you live with just because they’re a couple sets of stairs away.

What about a tip for freshmen in general?

It’s pronounced “Dye” Hall (or maybe “Die,” depending on your experiences in there). You’ll get what I’m talking about soon. Hopefully.

What’s your overall favorite memory at Carolina so far?

Probably rushing Franklin St. after that solid victory at that school with the ugly blue. I promised myself I’d walk it (your boy did not stick to his gym regimen and as a result, my body was not prepared for it tbh), but I got caught up in all the excitement and ran like it was the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine…

Did you actually make it to Franklin St. at that pace?

Next question, please.

What’s one thing on your UNC bucket list?

I want to try my hand at stand-up comedy at the DSI Comedy Theater on Franklin St. before I go.

What’s the most important thing college has taught you up to this point?

To be flexible. To know that your interests might change. To know that your years here might not go according to that four-year plan you scribbled out in the back of APUSH in high school. And ultimately, to know that no matter what it is that you decide to pursue, there’s always someone here you can talk to about studying it and organizations you can join that focus on exploring it.

Fun Facts

•  During a brief, heavily Lil Wayne-influenced period of my life, I went by the stage name “udeezy” because I thought I had a shot at the rap game…there’s a mixtape still in the works
  •  People always ask me what I want to do with my life, but I don’t even know what I’m doing for dinner tonight
  •  I turned down a full scholarship from Coach K because he refused to acknowledge Duke as Dook

You’ll be hearing from me ALL SUMMER SIXTEEN (bloggin’ clean, not dirty tho…sorry @Drake),

Udara