Meet the Bloggers: Jess Schmitz

Jess Schmitz

Hometown: Cary, NC

Year: Sophomore

Major: Pre-Business

Where I’ve Lived on Campus: Ehringhaus, Rams Village 5

Campus Involvement: Women’s Rowing, Carolina Marketing Club, Richard A. Baddour Leadership Academy

Email: jessschm@live.unc.edu

Where did you live your first year? What did you like about it? I lived in Ehringhaus my freshman year. It was a great choice because I got to live in South Campus and experience freshman year that way, but I was not too far from classes or the dining hall. The “E-haus Path” is so convenient for getting to mid and north campus, I never even took the bus! I also met so many awesome people and the suite style dorms are a great alternative to hall style. Plus having your bathroom cleaned every day is pretty sweet.

Tell us about your activities on campus. What else did you wish you had done? I am a member of the women’s rowing team which takes up the majority of my time; however, I am also involved in several other cool things on campus. I am involved in Carolina Marketing Club which has so many great opportunities. For example, I got together with some other members to compete in a Case Competition for Top of The Hill, and we actually won second place! I am also a member of the Richard A. Baddour Leadership academy and will be involved in the ‘Rising Stars’ program this year as well as being a CREED mentor. One thing I wish I had done is get involved with more volunteer organizations on campus. There are so many cool ones like Dance Marathon and Relay for Life.

What is on your UNC bucket list? There are so many things I want to do in the next three years… most of them involving new restaurants I want to try. One thing I really want to do before I graduate is be in the risers for a Dook game. Our rivalry with Dook is legendary and nothing beats stomping them at home, especially if you’re standing only 20 feet away. I also really want to spend a day picnicking and studying on the quad with friends. It’s such a beautiful place and I want to spend more time there while I can.

Thanks for reading, see y’all soon!

Jess Schmitz