RA Spotlight: Stephen Hansen

RA Spotlight1969269_10152749804199126_605045758_n

Stephen Hansen

Hall: Hinton James, 6th Floor

Year: Junior

Major: Business Administration

Dream job: Scuba Diving Guide

Favorite cereal: Cocoa Puffs

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Favorite quote: “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

-Ghandi

What is your favorite thing about being an RA? “Watching how my residents grow and become acclimated to life at UNC.  It is cool to see [the residents] arrive as freshmen not knowing anybody, and then form their own circles by the end of the year.  I would also have to say it is awesome when my residents do my laundry for me.”
How did you decide on Hinton James as your Residence Hall? “I just wanted to work with a first year community on South Campus, and I was assigned to Hinton James.  I was in Craige last year, and I have enjoyed them both.  I feel like I can be the most help to residents when they are first years, as opposed to returning students, so that’s why I chose a first year community.”
What’s the most fun thing you’ve done with your residents? “I love having prank wars with the other RA’s and getting our residents to help out.  This year a girl fake-cried on the balcony and told the RA on rounds that she saw some kind of huge animal in her bathroom.  When the RA went to check it out, it was actually one of my residents in a bunny suit jumping around behind a shower curtain.”
What are your favorite things to do on South Campus? “Going to basketball games at the Dean Dome.  The rest of the stuff doesn’t come close.”
What is a good piece of advice for first year students that are setting up their first residence hall room? “Bunk your beds! It will stabilize the top bed well, but more importantly it will give you more room for activities.”
What else are you involved in on campus? “A few of the more interesting things are Ted Talks, and probably…my supporting role to the Women’s club soccer team as a water boy.  I have gotten to hear a lot of really interesting people speak with Ted Talks, and I am easily the biggest women’s club soccer team fan on campus.”

Note: Hansen’s significant other is on the women’s club soccer team.

What would you tell someone that is deciding whether or not to apply to be an RA next year? “Ask yourself, would you enjoy adopting 30 college kids and helping them with whatever comes up? You have to have a desire to help other people, but if you do have that desire, it is a lot of fun.”
The deadline to apply to be an RA is quickly approaching! Be sure to submit your application by this Friday, December 5th.  Here is the link to do so: https://housing.unc.edu/employment/resident-advisor-ra

Residents! If you have a great RA and think they should be featured in a Spotlight like this one, please send in a nomination! RAs! You can nominate awesome residents too!