First Year Friday Recap: Tournament of Champions

As I walked into Rams Head Recreation Center last Friday, I was taken aback at the sheer volume of people on hand for the Tournament of Champions.  While there were eight and twelve teams of three for the volleyball and basketball tournaments, respectively, scores of students that weren’t competing came out to TOC.  Perhaps it was the advertised free Insomnia Cookies, but Rams Head was probably as full as I’ll ever see it on a Friday night.  A live DJ and continuous trivia provided additional entertainment for those who required it, although I was not one of them.  I am still not sure how it is possible that all of the kids in the basketball tournament were freshmen- some of them were huge!  I did not expect to witness some of the teams dunking on consecutive possessions.  Maybe Roy was able to get some new recruits last summer that I didn’t know about.  Stephen Hansen, a junior resident advisor in Hinton James, caught up with me during a break in the competition.

“I’m happy Hinton James’ First Year Friday is the Tournament of Champions,” said Hansen, “I think its definitely one of the cooler events because of all the stuff going on at the same time. This year’s tournament is a bit more exciting for me as well because I’ve placed a few bets with other RA’s on whose residents will win.”

Unfortunately for Stephen, neither the basketball winner “336 Mafia” or the volleyball winner “A Couple of Guys and a Couple of Gals” hails from his floor, however he was still able to score a couple of Insomnia Cookies and a sweet pair of plastic shades.