The official student blog about life in campus housing at UNC-Chapel Hill

You’re just about to move to Carolina–what are you secretly worried about?

Be it a random roommate, sharing a bathroom with your whole suite, or what in the world you’re going to do once you get here, everyone is nervous about something. Share your story and be entered to win in our LAST contest of the summer!

You can share anonymously by putting an alias in the name box when you comment, but remember to put your correct email so we can contact you if you’re our lucky winner!

To be entered into the random prize drawing, the deadline to post a comment is August 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm.

This week’s prize is a silver mirror, a red BaByliss mini blow dryer and a Carolina blue bath towel and hand towel.

91 Responses to “What are you secretly nervous about for move-in?”

1. Julie

Finding more suite mates!

Reply
  2. B

I’m terrified that all of my best friends will end up really far away on campus. We’re all going for the same buildings, but you never know how it’s going to work out. You can make efforts to stay close, and you can always use the opportunity to meet new people, but it’s not the same as living close to the people you love.

Reply
  3. Anonymous Person

Nervous about figuring out how to place everything in the room and which way is the best to set things up. New room means new decorations, new placements, too much to think about. And what if my roommate realizes how crazy I am and be scared forever.

Reply
  4. Deanna

I’m nervous that my roommate will be exactly who she says she ISN’T! There have been plenty of people catfished and I DO NOT want to be one of them! Also, forgetting something really important at home, that would not be good.

Reply
  5. Erin G

The only thing that made me nervous about moving in was that I move in early for Marching Band and there are barely any other people around- talk about creepy! It doesn’t end up being that scary though, and it’s a good way to meet random people you have things in common with, as you are the only ones in your dorm!

Reply
  6. GyungHo Hwang

I am worried about roommates because I am an international sudent. Cultures are different so there might be conflicts.

Reply
  7. Lex

I was very nervous when I moved in my first year. But I already knew my roommate coming into college. We weren’t close back then but it worked out so well! Now we are so close and it makes everything so much better. Move-in days are always a little stressful but once you get all of your stuff in and get settled into your new room it’s an amazing feeling!

Reply
  8. AS

I’m worried about making all new friends in an all new dorm!

Reply
  9. Grant

I’m nervous about not getting along with suite-mates next year or having a suite or room that is too loud for me.

Reply
  10. CN

I’m nervous about meeting all the new people on my hall but I’m also super excited to make new friends!

Reply
  11. Janel

Forgetting my toothbrush.

Reply
  12. Tall Girl

I’m nervous that my roomie will use and ramshackle through all of my belongings while I’m gone from visiting home, which I plan on doing very often. I’ve always had my own room my entire life so I hope I can adjust living with another FEMALE (girls can get really catty, meow!). I’m also pretty nervous about the reputation I will build this fall, so let’s hope I don’t do anything stupid!

Reply
  13. Anon

I am most nervous about the workload. I’m a hard worker, but I think we all know that college is a different ball game from high school.

Reply
  14. Elizabeth

My roommate just changed 2 days ago so a little nervous about living with someone I’ve never even really talked to before…

Reply
  15. Christopher

About being able to afford everything and the difficulty of the classes.

Reply
  16. Out-of-Stater

Well, I guess I’m pretty nervous about being 8 hours away from home! Also, I have no idea how I’m going to get around – I have an awful sense of direction…going to classes on the first day will be hard. Hopefully I’ll find someone that can help me find my way!

Reply
  17. Amber

I’m nervous about meeting new people and starting college classes

Reply
  18. That Asian

I am most nervous about missing my mom’s cooking. One of the comforts of living at home is the ability to eat the food my mother cooks!

Reply
  19. TY

I am nervous about the roommate. I hope we could get along. Also, I am nervous about whether I could do grocery whenever I want without a car.

Reply
  20. Tina Fey

As a master procrastinator, I’m nervous about time management. I’ll basically have to relearn how to study because doing it last minute most likely won’t give me the grades I’m used to. Hopefully I’ll pick it up quickly!

Reply
  21. Me

Sharing a living space with so many people, and not being able to avoid their parties on nights I need to be studying! Hoping that we’ll all get along!

Reply
  22. RP

I’m nervous that our hall won’t become friends. Last year, I didn’t even know some of the people on my hall, we would just awkwardly glance at one another when our paths crossed. I really want this year to be different! So, my suitemates and I are going to plan a potluck party to get the hall together so we can meet all the awesome people we get to live with!

Reply
  23. Briauna

I’m worried about not having space to myself. I value my alone time. I think it’s important part of life and maintaining my wellness. Having a roommate and sharing such a close space is may not allow for that. I just spot I can find a place on campus to allow for this me time.

Reply
  24. In over my head

Honestly, while I’m really excited to move in and go to Carolina, I’m also really freaked out. I’m worried about sharing a bathroom with 20+ people and working for the first time. I’m nervous about making new friends, and I’m worried about being completely on my own. I hope I can manage all of the madness.

Reply
  25. here we go

I’m nervous that I’ll get to school and I’ll have forgotten something vital. I’m nervous that the textbooks I’ve ordered will be wrong or get here too late. I’m nervous that I will push anyone new away for the first bit of school because I’ll be too wrapped up in trying to get all of my own problems figured out. I’m nervous that I’m going to have to prove myself to people for the first few months, and I’ll somehow fail at doing that and living up to people’s standards.

Reply
  26. Grandma

I can’t honestly sing Lil Wayne’s “I ain’t got no worries” when it comes to college! I am secretly nervous about finding someone/somewhere to sit in the dining hall, making good grades, finding a job, and fitting enough community service into my schedule by January for a scholarship I received.

Reply
  27. Gelato

I’ll be moving into my dorm room with one of my friends from highschool. I’m nervous about whether or not living together will test our friendship. xD I’m also worried about sharing a restroom with two other people which needs to be cleaned by ourselves! Yikes, cleaning duty! I hope we can share the responsibilities!

Reply
  28. Anon

I’m nervous about not making the most of my time and feeling like I wasted my Freshmen year.

Reply
  29. Anon

I’m nervous about the class load, making friends and all the typical things but on top of that…
    my roommate has always achieved more than me in high school. I’m afraid she’s going to think I’m an idiot or look down on me. Also I’m afraid shes gonna think I’m weird because I like to sing to myself and pop my pimples for like 20 minutes.
    :)

Reply
  30. Veronica

I’m nervous that I am packing WAAAAAAYY to much stuff. I have a suitcase full of just shirts!

Reply
  31. Charlotte

My roommate is one of my friends from high school, and although I’m not nervous about our relationship turning sour, I’m worried she’ll have a much easier time making friends and I’ll end up feeling like I’m mooching off her new friendships.

Reply
  32. Emma

I already know my roommate likes to sleep a lot, so I’m worried that I might bug her by accidentally waking her up sometimes.

Reply
  33. Anon

I’m nervous that college is going to bring me away from my faith and that I won’t be as sure.

Reply
  34. Dalia

I am secretly nervous about being away from home!

Reply
  35. Ashleigh

I am nervous about my roommate. I’ve been talking with my roommate and we get along just fine over text, but I’m still a little worried. While that is a very cliche thing to be worried about, I have a few weird habits. Also, I’m worried about not knowing where things are and missing some unseen deadline. Carolina is a big campus and I get lost fairly easily. I don’t want to be THAT first-year.

Reply
  36. honda girl

I’m nervous about meeting my roommate. I previously stayed at Granville Towers and my roommate was horrible and hogged the bathroom every chance she had! This time I’m hoping to be really good friends with my roommate!

Reply
  37. Lydianna

I’m secretly nervous about getting grades for the first time in my life…it really adds to the pressure of entering college!

Reply
  38. Annabeth

I won’t admit it to them outright, but I’m scared of being away from my family for such a long time!

Reply
  39. youNsea

I’m nervous that I won’t fit in because of my background.

Reply
  40. youNsea

I’m nervous that my roommate and I will actually be really different and dislike each other.

Reply
  41. Andy

I am nervous about moving in with the issues concerning sharing a bathroom with seven other people and if I might become a nuisance to my roommate. I use different methods of studying for different subjects respectively that might annoy my roommate. I also have the habit of being too abstract in my organizing process, which may confuse my roommate and cause him to be unintentionally the focus of my anger if there is a change in the location of some of the objects I organize to be. I also plan to create a small art studio in my shared room but I am worried if might be a problem for my roommate.

Reply
  42. Ashley

I am nervous that I won’t make friends that easily. I went to the same private school since I was four, and it is going to be a big adjustment not going back to the same people.

Reply
  43. Warren

I am nervous about my roommate being a Chinaman – oh wait, we’re both Chinese and best friends lol

Reply
  44. anon

I’m nervous about meeting my roommate. I’ve always known who I’d be living with, but this time I’ve got a random roommate. Hopefully things will work out!

Reply
  45. UNC_Struggler

I am nervous how I’m going to set up my side of the dorm. I want to personalize it and set it up so I can not get distracted from my roommate during my studies.

Reply
  46. Exchange Mumbler

I’m worried that the fact that I’m an eternal mumbler, plus the fact that I’m an exchange student coming from the UK, will mean that no one will understand me for at least the first few weeks!

Reply
  47. Smaug the Terribly Nervous

Okay, I’m not ~terribly~ nervous. Let’s be real, I just wanted an excuse to use a LOTR-related pseudonym…

I’m nervous that my roommate is going to get annoyed with me over time because of my weird sleeping habits. Also, I’m pretty sure that I’m going to get lost on campus at least once. And I feel like our suite is probably going to have at least one bathroom fiasco: a clogged drain or a lack of toilet paper or something along those lines. So I’m not really looking forward to that.

Fingers crossed that this all works out, hahaha -___-

Reply
  48. Hannah

I’m nervous about meeting my roomie for the first time! Hopefully we get along well!

Reply
  49. Potentially Incompetent

I’m secretly deeply afraid of not being able to write papers or manage my time when so much of the coursework is self study. As long as I rock first semester though, I’ll probably feel better.

Reply
  50. FakeName

I’m secretly afraid of living in a dorm with seven other guys, and that we might not all get along. I have a ton of guy friends at home, but I’m worried that me being gay will weird some of these new people out. I don’t plan on sharing it with them all upfront, but I also don’t want to feel like I have to hide it. Also – I really don’t want to win this stuff, I just thought it was an interesting thread!

Reply
  51. Alex

I’m nervous about living with my friend. I hope that our friendship will grow stronger because of this experience. I’m also nervous about living on north campus. I hope that I can make friends easily.

Reply
  52. Pseudonym

I’m extremely nervous that I won’t like living with my roommate again. Life together got pretty tense at the end of last school year and I fear that we will end up hating one another. Hopefully being apart all summer will have smoothed out any problems.

Reply
  53. Snorlax

I am nervous about sharing a room with someone for the first time! In particular about getting a good night’s rest as I like to sleep early and my roommate may not.

Reply
  54. DormLife: I'm Secretly Nervous

I am very nervous about overestimating my available space and over packing everything!!

Reply
  55. Cathy

I am nervous about making friends (the right kind of friends). I am nervous about not flunking out and having to go home.

Reply
  56. Kittttyyyyyy

I am the most nervous about figuring out how to decorate my room! I’m trying to decide whether to loft my bed or not. Also, I am nervous I won’t have enough room in my closet to put all my clothes!!

Reply
  57. CHChloe

How I’m going to get all my stuff in to the 4th floor..

Reply
  58. Scaredy Cat

I’m secretly worried that my roommate won’t tolerate my night light. I’m too scared of the dark to sleep without it.

Reply
  59. Anyizzle

I’m nervous that I won’t be able to manage my time, and that I will become overwhelmed.

Reply
  60. Saaaaaaam

I’m really nervous about changing from a suite bathroom to a hall bathroom. I miss my privacy!

Reply
  61. Dana

I’m nervous about adjusting to an environment that is completely different than anything that I have ever been a part of!

Reply
  62. Katayoon

I am most nervous about time management and getting to classes on time!

Reply
  63. Lynn

I’m nervous about my class load and roommate.

Reply
  64. Hannah

I’m nervous about not having enough room for everything!

Reply
  65. Grace

I’m nervous about whether my roommate and I will get along well. I hope that we will end up being friends and want to hang out with our suitemates too!

Reply
  66. Ashley

I am nervous about meeting my roommate!

Reply
  67. Logan

I’m nervous about time management- finding the time to work and exercise and have a social life… all while making sure I spend enough time studying and keeping my grades up!

Reply
  68. Annie Jang

It will be the very first time of my time to live in a dorm. Two major things that secretly worry me the most would be running out of food and/or money.

Reply
  69. Pebbles

I am most nervous about rooming with my friend. I have always heard it is never a good idea to live with a friend because you will see them inside and outside of your room; thus, your friend will more easily aggravate you than usual. But at the same time, I was worried about living with a random roommate in fear of serious incompatibilities. Nevertheless, having a random roommate would increase the number of people that I know at the university. Ultimately, there are both pros and cons to my decision, and I hope living with my friend allows our friendship to grow stronger and not weaker.

Reply
  70. Anonymous Tar Heel

I’m nervous about my neighbors and being in a new dorm. Hopefully it won’t be too loud and hopefully my neighbors will be quiet and friendly! :) And hopefully having a larger shared bathroom this year will be okay too!

Reply
  71. Marina

I am just nervous about everything. I mean everything!!!

Reply
  72. Grace

Last year (as a first year), I was most nervous about losing my privacy, as I’m the kind of person that needs plenty of her own space. This year, as a sophomore, I have my own apartment, so I’ll have plenty of space! :) The only thing to worry about now is whether or not I have enough stuff to fill my apartment!

Reply
  73. Hannah s.

I am secretly nervous about getting on the wrong bus and being late to class or ending up on the opposite side of Chapel Hill!

Reply
  74. Snow White

ME: Long have I pined to leave for college,
    where there I will no longer in intellectual bondage.
    However, I am deathly nervous that I am the least fair of all.
    So, magic mirror on thy wall,
    Oh please tell me how to be thy fairest of them all?

MAGIC MIRROR: Your lips are as red as rose, hair black as ebony, and skin white as snow. Yet to be fairest of them all, you must procure: a Carolina blue bath and hand towel to dry your lovely white skin after a bath, a red BaByliss mini blow dryer to dry your luscious black hair, and a silver mirror to remind you that you are more beauteous than you believe yourself to be. You will meet a hunky huntsman to give you these gifts.

ME: Magic mirror, your words are far too gracious!
    And to my one and only hunky huntsman, I cannot wait to meet you!

Reply
  75. Liz

I am nervous about finding a balance between remaining close friends with those I knew in high school while also making new friends.

Reply
  76. Sweta

I’m nervous about making good grades. I graduated with the high honors from my previous institution, but as everyone says you don’t make same grades. That’s why I’m little nervous.

Reply
  77. Leslie

I’m nervous about staying in an upperclassmen dorm with only a handful of other first-year students!

Reply
  78. Savannah

I’m nervous about meeting my suitemates for the first time!

Reply
  79. weeee

I am concerned about having to cross the street and walk to a different building to check out enhancements.

Reply
  80. Kay

I am most nervous about my roommate. I didn’t choose randomly but it is still going to be a new person. I really hope to be good friends with her.

Reply
  81. Morgan

I’m super nervous about finding a club/organization I like. There are a million different organizations at Carolina that are all so appealing and interesting to me so choosing just one or a few to stick with makes me anxious! And then fitting my extracurricular activities in with education time.

Reply
  82. xtina

I’m nervous for being that person who ends up forgetting the most basic things needed for living away from home and having to go out to get a new one/borrow stuff. I’m also nervous I’ll end up misbalancing my time and putting a lot more time in the fun part of college over studying academics.

Reply
  83. Nadia

I am most nervous about being away from home and having to adjust to a whole new lifestyle. I’m also nervous about the class load.

Reply
  84. TheLuckyWinner

I’m nervous that my roommate and I will end up hating each other, since we’ve been best friends since third grade. I’ve heard a lot of people say it’s bad to room with someone you’re really close with so I hope we can prove them wrong.

Reply
  85. Jen.Rose

I’m nervous about making sure I have everything I need in my dorm before my parents leave. I don’t have a car so I can’t just load up at the grocery store or Wal-Mart whenever I need to.

Reply
  86. Vanessa

I am nervous about time management. There are so many opportunities and so much to do at UNC. I am worried about how to manage doing those things, working and passing my classes.

Reply
  87. RB

also worried about how the RA will be, and if the bathrooms are ok!

Reply
  88. ray

the neighbors!

Reply
  89. Laura Butlin

I am most nervous that, as I am English, I won’t understand colloquialisms or people won’t understand my accent!

Reply
  90. Me

I’m pretty nervous about sharing the bathroom with so many girls. I’m definitely not used to that. I’m also nervous about meeting new people but I hope to make many new friends! :)

Reply
  91. Hispanic At The Disco

I am anxious to see what being a member of the NROTC unit at Carolina will be like. My high school didn’t have a JROTC unit and I have next to no military background myself so this will be an entirely new experience for me. I am not all that concerned about the physical aspect as much as I am concerned about how I will handle the pressure of having to execute with an officer screaming in my face.

Reply