This week's prize is a grey boyfriend pillow, a purple lamp, and a digital alarm clock.
This week’s prize is a grey boyfriend pillow, a purple lamp, and a digital alarm clock.

Share your experience for a chance to win

During these precious summer days before coming (back) to Carolina, what are you up to? Share a brief story about your summer travels, service projects, jobs, internships, activities or whatever else you are doing between now and move-in weekend.

To be entered into the random prize drawing, the deadline to post a comment is June 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm.

Congratulations to Sharla S. our lucky winner!

131 Responses to “What are you doing this summer?”

1. Julie

Laying on the beach all day every day. After two summer sessions :)

Reply
  2. Jane

Taking classes, working, and going to the beach!

Reply
  3. Daniel

Taking organic chem this summer. Woo!

Reply
  4. Amber

I plan to do summer school to get ahead of my major!

Reply
  5. Whitney

I am going to go to summer school so I can finish chemistry classes and get ahead for the MCAT.

Reply
  6. Taylar Byrd

I’m planning on taking summer courses and working a job.

Reply
  7. Brianna

I will be going to the Dominican Republic for a week and then spending the rest of the summer working, resting, and spending time with family.

Reply
  8. Erin G

This summer I will be coaching a local swim team! I will also stick around on campus to take 2 classes and/or find a lab position!

Reply
  9. CN

I am going to be doing research at UNC while finding time to relax and enjoy the campus during the summer!

Reply
  10. AS

This summer I am hopefully getting an internship somewhere! I also will probably be traveling with my family.

Reply
  11. Ryland Dreibelbis

This summer, I’m going to work at a beach camp! (I’m from southern California)

Reply
  12. Amber

I plan to do summer classes to get ahead with my major!

Reply
  13. Caroline

I’m going to UNC this week for Orientation! Then I’m headed off to Italy for two weeks before school starts. I could not be more excited! :)

Reply
  14. Aaron

This summer I am developing mobile applications as well as doing some early prep studying for my UNC classes in the fall!

Reply
  15. Niju Khat

Hey everyone! My name is Niju and I will be living in Koury Hall next year:) This summer I have actively been trying to make time for my friends and family, espically those that I will have limited time for in the coming years. So going down to Alabama to visit my grandma and some old friends was of the upmost importance to me. In Alabama, I met up with a few of my friends, and we played Just Dance just like old times. Although this story is rather cheesy, it signifies that even as times change and people have to adjust accordingly, it’s never too late to just dance and have a good time with the people you love.

Reply
  16. Luis Lucas-Tzun

Catching up on songwriting since biology and U.S. History ate up all my freetime. And working my first job! :D

Reply
  17. Wynton Wong

I’m juggling 3 internships, a SSII class, and still looking for a part-time job.

Reply
  18. Jesse Mechanic

Chilling… In Chapel Hill

Reply
  19. Madison Brown

I’m going to the Dominican Republic, watching movies, and spending time with my family.

Reply
  20. Emma G. Blackwell

I just got back from a vacation in NYC! Up next, the beach and lots of reading and baking!

Reply
  21. Zack Newbauer

Spending a terrific summer working for Apple Inc. and UNC Student Union- all the while investing in Chapel Hill in a new way as I learn what it means to spend a summer here. Also enjoying the summer reading book and looking forward to helping lead a conversation in the fall!

Reply
  22. Saarah

This summer I’ve been hanging out with friends, swimming, watching movies, and just having a chill time. Not to mention the graduation party hopping every weekend. In addition, I’m getting ready to be a college freshman! This summer is hands down, the best.

Reply
  23. Susie Mirabedini

This summer, I’m spending a month and a half in my homeland of Colombia! I am staying in Medellin, the country’s second largest city. My family owns cattle-ranching farms in a small town called Puerto Berrio, and I will be spending a considerable amount of time there. I’ve just returned from a trip to the coast, where we spent a week in a cabana enjoying the summer sun and calm Caribbean water. I’ll be visiting lots of friends and family and exploring more and more of my country throughout the summer before I head home to Raleigh!

Reply
  24. Nicole Busby

I’m making a new feature for outlook web app (yes what we use to access our email at UNC!) during my internship at Microsoft in Redmond, WA!

Reply
  25. Jan Elmore

I’m babysitting, mowing, handing over my club leadership positions, and getting in some quality time with my family.

Reply
  26. Shiva Sethi

I’m teaching kids from Trenton for a couple of weeks (working as an RA), relaxing at home in New York and visiting my family in Chapel Hill.

Reply
  27. Courtney

I’m working and reading (for pleasure) on the beach every weekend.

Reply
  28. Rachel

Working! Babysitting and working at Bath and Body Works. Hopefully going to the beach with my fam too!

Reply
  29. Chase Coleman

This summer, i was able to work in Jamaica through orphanages, building projects, and community outreach, as well as being a counselor at Victory Mountain Camp.

Reply
  30. Addie

Enjoying the beach and getting excited about UNC!

Reply
  31. Kara Crumpler

I’m living in Maui, Hawaii and teaching art camp to young children. I love getting to witness God’s beauty everyday on these islands, but I really cannot wait to get back home to UNC!

Reply
  32. Nadia

I am spending the summer working to have some extra spending money for the fall! And spending a week at Virginia Beach with my family. :)

Reply
  33. Diana Ngo

Taking my second summer session now. Although I feel somewhat burnout from all this studying but at least the topic is interesting ;)

Reply
  34. Christopher

I am wrapping up my final foreign language class and pre-reading an organic chem book for this fall. I am also helping out at my current college’s summer camps for some money.

Reply
  35. Angela

This summer my brother got married to a beautiful Japanese woman. They got married at the United Nation Church – this was symbolic because through their marriage they united a Ghanaian and a Japanese family. By becoming one through marriage they brought together two very rich cultures and two families that really like to have a great time.

Reply
  36. Kendall

doing research on my senior thesis while working on campus!

Reply
  37. veronica

I have been enjoying my summer; spending it with Family and friends. I have also been working and getting my licence soon (finally!). For the most part I have been eagerly awaiting my first semester at Carolina and trying to get as much free time as I can before it’s all gone.

Reply
  38. Dana

I am working, going to church camp, hopefully going to Apples Service-Learning Initiative, and looking forward to calling UNC home!

Reply
  39. Lydia

Well, everyone’s talking about the amazing places they will be going and incredible things they will be doing…I will be spending time with my family, relaxing, and feeling excited for all the smart and incredible students and faculty I will meet at Carolina!

Reply
  40. Emily Janeira

I’m starting a new job, spending time with family and friends, and getting ready to start college at UNC in the fall

Reply
  41. Brandon Haake

I am doing everything that I have ever wanted to do in my hometown before I start UNC in August!

Reply
  42. Rachel

This summer I am working as a lifeguard and assistant coach for our summer league swim team where I work with about 30 kids ages 8 and under. I am also spending my summer getting in shape since I want to swim on the club team at UNC!

Reply
  43. Mikala

Well, I am actually spending my summer in the winter in the lovely Mar del Plata, Argentina.
    After what seemed like an eternity of traveling, I finally arrived here on June 17 and moved in with my host family. You see, I am an exchange student here for a month.
    I have already learned so much in just the past ten days. I have learned that Spanish here is very different from what I have been taught in my mere four years of learning it in high school. I have learned more about the country’s history and its current president. I have learned to love alfajores and dulce de leche. I have learned to greet others with a kiss on the right cheek. I have learned to become more independent before I enter UNC as a freshman this fall. I have learned the lyrics to David Bisbal’s “Hasta al Final.” Most importantly, I have learned what it means to really live and love life.

Reply
  44. Brea

Getting my driver’s license and reading and relaxing back here in the Philippines.

Reply
  45. Nate Wagner

I’m living in “Little Istanbul,” a city quarter in Traun, Austria comprised of Turks, Arabs, Iranians, Kurds, and three white guys (an Austrian man, my German friend, and my slightly-tanned American self). Why come to Austria if not for vacation? I’ve spent the past year doing volunteer social work in Europe and am currently working with a ground-up initiative to help integrate these oft-neglected peoples into Austrian culture and society. Our group accomplishes this by providing after-school tutoring for refugee children in the Austrian city with the highest percentage of immigrants. The work also allows us to build bridges to the parents (who have little to no social contacts due to poor language skills) of the kids (who usually speak quite a bit of German). During my nearly 5 weeks in Traun, I’ve made friends with some pretty tough (or, in the case of the 6 year-olds, wannabe tough) inner-city Turks and Arabs, playing soccer, doing long-division, and repairing bicycles. I’ll be back in the States just in time for UNC’s final orientation session!

Reply
  46. Pavle

Spending time with my step-uncle & aunt. And definitely getting ready for school!

Reply
  47. Chengliang

I went to many places in Asia like HK and Macao, learnt to play tennis, met with many friends, cooked many delicious foods.

Reply
  48. Amy

This summer I’ll be catching up on TV shows and reading… other than that, I hope to spend a little more time with my friends before we all start our college experience! :)

(Also, off topic – I’m loving how there are exclamation marks in everyone’s comments. Exciting summers for everyone, I see!)

Reply
  49. Helen M

I’m spending lots of quality time with my family and friends, getting to do some artwork with my free time, and enjoying my summer as I wait to join the rest of the Heels this fall.

Reply
  50. Claudia

I’m working at a children’s museum this summer. Lots of crazy kids! Fun, but exhausting…

Reply
  51. Fan Huang

Various internships and hanging out in Chapel Hill

Reply
  52. Wyatt Packer

I’m watching every episode of The office, chauffeuring my brother around, going to the beach a few times, and sleeping late every day to get all of the laziness out of my system before August 18th hits me.

Reply
  53. Austin Glock Andrews

This summer I have studied abroad in Israel on an archaeological excavation. The project uncovered spectacular mosaics paving the floor of an ancient synagogue. I’m also working on grant writing and scholarship applications for future endeavors in archaeology. Additionally, I am beginning work as the National Communications Coordinator for the Residence Hall Association at UNC !

Reply
  54. Rachel

Volunteering at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital for a month, shadowing various nurses, and spending four weeks working at and attending summer camp!

Reply
  55. Kristie Chow

I’m attempting to increase my finger strength and finger stretch to reach four frets in my quest to play the guitar as well as spending three weeks with my relatives before I start preparing for my first year as a Tar Heel!

Reply
  56. Yanexy Cardona

I am going to Honduras to see Mayan Ruins and go hiking. Then I will be taking a road trip to Miami, Florida to visit South Beach. Finally, I will finish off the summer by going to UNC orientation!

Reply
  57. Morgan Zemaitis

For my summer I’ll be traveling to the 49th U.S. state that I’ve been to (Hawai’i), doing a three-week Outward Bound backpacking trip in the Sierras, and enjoying the few days I have left before I head off to college!

Reply
  58. Sharla Sugierski

I went on a mission trip to Virginia Beach, spent a week at the beach, worked like a dog at The Fox and Hound restaurant, and prepared for college!

Reply
  59. Alicia Wood

This summer, I am relaxing, reading, and enjoying the sun. I am spending time outdoors in the Appalachian Mts, I am learning to play the guitar, and I am impatiently waiting to become a Tarheel!!

Reply
  60. Emre

I’ve been spending most of my time learning to sight read and learning perfect pitch. I’ve also been doing a second cycle of p90x. Free time is the perfect time to improve oneself.

Reply
  61. Ashley Gaines

I spent several weeks at the beach, attended a few UNC classes, and was accepted to my Living-Learning Community of choice, the Spanish House! I am currently training for Cross Country and assisting others in my community in maintaining an active lifestyle. I look forward to orientation in July! I am beyond excited to be a TARHEEL!

Reply
  62. Katarina

I’m going to Europe for three weeks. I’ll be spending time in Germany, Austria, France, and Italy! I can’t wait to visit these cultures and expand my knowledge of the world, as well as practice my German and French language skills!

Reply
  63. Madeline

I’m going to Lake Gaston in late July with 7 other kids my age (or around there) and I’m also in the process of starting to volunteer for the Wake County SPCA for the summer!

Reply
  64. Keegan

I’m on the last week of my gap year, finishing my work for the Foundation for Democratic Youth in Budapest before flying back to New York for the 4th.

Reply
  65. Yaner

I’m learning dancing, playing the ukulele, hanging out with friends and taking an internship!

Reply
  66. Anthony Kan

Other than counting down till move-in day and eating loads of ice cream? Ultimate frisbee!

Reply
  67. Christian Browning

I’m working on finding a job (which, admittedly, this late in the summer, will be hard to find) or at least some form of paying work. Also, my mom is getting married to a guy who I’ll be proud to call my step-dad.

Reply
  68. Diane

I’m sailing the coast of Maine for three weeks through an Outward Bound course. Until then, I’m preparing myself…both mentally and physically!

Reply
  69. Gloria Pisarskaya

I’m keeping busy with my job, hanging out with friends, going to the pool, getting ready for college and cleaning out the house! Me and my sister have been doing a major clean-up around our house, and we recently had a yard sale! Made some money and we’re ready to save some of it and use the rest for our week-long beach trip!! (:

Reply
  70. Emily L.

I’m interning at BoA and spending quality time with my family.

Reply
  71. Megan

I am working as a swim coach and crafting lots of fun things that I can use to decorate my new dorm in the fall!

Reply
  72. Leona Amosah

I am babysitting my wonderful siblings, spending time outdoors, and reading lots of books!

Reply
  73. Sylvia Chen

I’m going to NYC for a week, Orlando for another, and working!

Reply
  74. Yachao

I am spending the summer in St. Louis for the last time before going to UNC in August! Really excited!

Reply
  75. Hannah Shoaf

I’m shadowing a pediatric neurologist and learning a lot more about the field. Also, I’m headed to the beach on Saturday!

Reply
  76. Alex Hagwood

I am traveling to Florida on an FBI National Academy conference trip! My father went to the academy and he’s the secretary for North Carolina, so any administrative members get to travel with their families to a location and there are always great stuff planned! Like last summer, we went to Texas and they rented out the Dallas Cowboys stadium and we toured the locker room and had dinner on the field! Two weeks from now I’m traveling to Ayden, NC to build a camp called The Refuge that does ministry to inmates, those with disabilities, and the children/teens of inner city Kinston! I’m super excited!

Reply
  77. Michael Rahal

I went to CTOPS on the third and the fourth of June, and then I departed for Lebanon on the 13th. I’m here until July 24th, celebrating engagements and new additions to the family (month old triplets that I’m fairly certain never sleep). It’s certainly been interesting so far with some of the craziness going on in Saida and Trablous (Tripoli). Finally, when I get back to the States, I’m going to relax until Carolina Kickoff.

Woo, summer!

Reply
  78. Margaret Brown

I’m going to Sunset Beach for a long weekend, Hilton Head for another long weekend, then Edisto Beach for a whole week! And of course I’m coming to orientation too.

Reply
  79. Emily

I’m coaching a volleyball camp, working as a counselor at a preschool camp, going on a couple of beach trips, and preparing for college!

Reply
  80. Ashley

I am resting all summer so I will be well prepared for UNC in August!!!!

Reply
  81. Lea

I’m practicing for and competing in a national marksmanship that takes place in Raton, New Mexico this year. My varsity high school team and I are defending our 2012 championship status!

Reply
  82. Kholiswa

I’ll be up in nyc for a week hanging out with some family/friends then off to the DR to teach english.

Reply
  83. Anya

I’m currently in Germany for a month. Then I’m going on a WAFFYS backpacking trip at UNC! :)

Reply
  84. Tamar

London and Paris for 2 weeks, then Israel for a month!

Reply
  85. Brianna Cooper

I have kick started my college career the right way by establishing relationships and boosting my G.P.A. over the summer at Summer Bridge. I have also joined several on-campus organizations, recreational tennis, and a Living Learning Community.

Reply
  86. Amanda

I’m going to Ohio for a week to compete at Summer Nationals in fencing as well as representing the United States in the 19th Maccabiah Games which will be held in Israel for 3 weeks.

Reply
  87. Vy Truong

This summer, I am taking classes through the Summer Bridge program for six weeks. This is my second week here and everything’s been great so far. Hopefully I’ll be seeing all of you soon when fall semester starts ;)

Reply
  88. Cain

I’ll be working all summer but there’s a family reunion in Miami that I am really excited about! It’s going to be a lot of fun.

Reply
  89. Katherine

Taking Drivers’ Ed, going backpacking, and spending a month in Europe with my family before heading straight to Carolina! HEEL yeah.

Reply
  90. Stratton

I am studying Spanish abroad in Argentina for a month. I am also working in a bakery and saving money.

Reply
  91. Eben

I am doing summer bridge at UNC.

Reply
  92. Adam S

I’m going on a waffy summer experience and working! Go heels!

Reply
  93. Annie Ng

Doing summer bridge at UNC all summer and then going back to Fayetteville, NC for 3 weeks! Go heels!

Reply
  94. Justina Vasquez

Hopefully I’ll be going to Florida next month, but for now I’m in the Bridge program taking classes and getting to know this huge campus.

Reply
  95. Alex Drose

I’m an RCC in Taylor (Ram 4) and taking summer classes. I’ts been a fun summer here at UNC but weird not seeing the normal amount of people on campus. I’m managing to squeeze time in to go home and visit my family :]

Reply
  96. Savannah J

I’m an RA in Ram Village Apartments! I’m also volunteering at UNC School of Dentistry and UNC Hospital Dental Clinic. Busy summer!

Reply
  97. Matti Smith

I am doing an internship with the ACC Sports Journal, specifically with David Glenn. I sit in on his sports show from 12-3 every weekday and am learning a lot about sports radio broadcasting. I even do a little bit of writing and research for his show, so y’all should all listen in!

Reply
  98. Maggie

Summer School at UNC!!

Reply
  99. Saul Navarro

Eat. Sleep. Work.

Reply
  100. Olivia

My summer began in April when I went to a Phi Theta Kappa conference in California with the advisor and president of our chapter. After being jetlagged for a few days, I went to Carowinds with my class to experience physics. I went to the beach with my friends for our graduation present. Preparing a costume and wrapping a present for a Supernatural themed birthday party that one of my friends are having is a blast. I am helping my cousin prepare for her SAT as well as spending as much time with family and friends before classes start.

Reply
  101. Ambriana Wade

I am working hard, reading Home, and hoping this summer goes by fast because I can’t wait to get to UNC!!

Reply
  102. Jacob Yocco

I am hanging out with friends and working at Chick Fil A. I also just got back from West Palm Beach this past week for camp.

Reply
  103. Lauren Clance

This summer I am working as a lifeguard, enjoying my last year of summer swim team, and going to the Outer Banks with my family!

Reply
  104. David Kang

I am going to be moving to near NYC (it’s complicated) this summer as I transition into the next phase of my life

Reply
  105. Elly Wagner

I am taking summer classes this summer and training for softball.

Reply
  106. Sebastien Finucane-Courreges

I’m doing a 6 week solo trip around Western Europe, visiting Dublin, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, the surf capital of the world in Southwest France and Paris. And I come back a day before orientation on July 10th.

Reply
  107. Simon

Working at a law firm in Manhattan.

Reply
  108. Scout

I am working for my dad’s law office in New Jersey this summer!

Reply
  109. Joseph Bridgers

This summer I’m studying for the MCAT and hanging out at home.

Reply
  110. Laura Butlin

I’m saying good bye to all my friends and family in England before I fly out to NC for a year!

Reply
  111. Kathleen Simis

I’m nannying for a family with a six year old son untill I go on vacation with my family to explore the beautiful mountains of North Carolina!

Reply
  112. Katayoon Dowlatshahi

This summer I am hanging out with my best friends and doing tons of shopping for college! I am also spending a lot of my time at the beach!

Reply
  113. Matt Wilson

I’m entering all of unc housing’s contests so I don’t have to rough it in the dorm next year.

Reply
  114. Shannen Grainer

This summer I am exploring North Carolina with my family and finding the southern roots I know I have deep inside my New York self!

Reply
  115. Seher Khalid

I’m spending my summer working and enjoying my time with my family and friends before my first year of college!

Reply
  116. Lucia

Taking classes at UNC, going to Jordan Lake, and getting ready for the fall semester.

Reply
  117. Janelle Myers

Going to a taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live!!

Reply
  118. Andrea Stewart

I’m working for the NC Botanical Garden, mostly in Battle Park. I’m working to help maintain trails and restore the forests in the area!

Reply
  119. Sonya DeMoulin

I am spending my summer with my friends and family, going to the beach, watching movies, travelling, and shopping! ☀ I am also taking summer courses at NWFSC, and I cannot wait to officially start school as a tarheel!!! ♥

Reply
  120. Lauren Thomas

Working, spending time with family and friends, and counting down the days until I’m officially a TARHEEL!

Reply
  121. Sarah Spencer

In July, I’m spending a week working with nonprofit organizations in DC for a missions trip. I’m also working at a camp I’ve attended every summer since I was 8, serving food, cleaning bathrooms, and all of that glamorous stuff. Until then, I’m playing soccer, meeting with my Shakespeare class from this past semester to read King Lear (nerd status), reading books, tanning (burning), watching movies, rewatching Arrested Development (seasons 1-3) until it stops being funny (never), drinking iced chai lattes, and preparing to attend the greatest university in the world in the fall.

Reply
  122. Aleise Preslar

I am working at a summer day camp for young kids and going on a trip to Chi-town!

Reply
  123. Kamieo Lewis

For the first half for te summer I was at UNC taking summer school classes. I also had the oppritunity to volunteer at a summer camp at UNC sponsored by Healthy Girls Save The World. For the rest of the summer, I will be traveling to Virginia to Volunteer as a camp counselor for a Christian based Camp for at risk youth! See you in August UNC:)

Reply
  124. Dzidzai Muyengwa

Spent half of the summer “recovering” from what I believe was abuse (courtesy of Chemistry and Biology). I am now back to reality doing an internship and working.

Reply
  125. Cecilia

I’m working all summer haha and probably going to the beach for a week.

Reply
  126. Avneet Nagra

I’m strengthning friendships, spending time with family, and getting ready for my first year as a Tarheel!

Reply
  127. Jasmin Huang

Summer school at UNC while being an RA in Stacy!

Reply
  128. Ashley Jenkins

Next week I will be traveling to Orlando, Florida, for the TSA National Competition!! In July, I’m going to Rio de Janiero for World Youth Day!! And of course–First Year Orientation at UNC!!!

Reply
  129. Erin

My uncle is having a wedding in the Outer Banks, which will be a whole crazy affair with that whole side of the family! I’m sure it will turn into a fiasco.

Reply
  130. Kenya Hairston

I’m taking classes at UNC as part of the Summer Bridge program.

Reply
  131. Anaya Udyavar

I’m studying for the lsats, doing an internship, and travelling to spend time with family! Work hard, play harder!!

Reply