Top 10 things to do before graduation
As a senior at UNC, I can’t help but reflect on all of the wonderful things this university has to offer. Read on to find out my opinion of the top 10 things every UNC student should do before graduating.
Experience UNC arts. Whether you are an artist yourself or just an admirer, UNC is home to a vibrant arts community. Performing arts, visual arts, literary arts – you name it, UNC has an organization (or several!) for it. See a Playmaker’s performance. Visit the Ackland Art Museum. Attend a lecture from a visiting author. You won’t be disappointed!
- Attend a variety of UNC athletic events. Many students live for UNC Basketball, but why stop there? UNC has amazing soccer teams, a field hockey team, a baseball team; the list goes on. Make it a goal to attend at least one game of each sport!
- Join a club or student organization. One of the best things about UNC is the diverse array of interests and hobbies. Chances are if you are interested in something, there are at least 10 other people here who are too. Join a club – or start your own!
- Try out the Franklin Street favorites. Even though Franklin Street is nearly a part of campus, I sometimes forget about all of the iconic Chapel Hill experiences that take place there. Grab some frozen yogurt from Yopo. Eat a classy dinner at Top of the Hill. Satisfy your late-night hunger at Cosmic Cantina or [B]Ski’s. Check out the local shops. And the fun is only a short walk or bus ride away!
- Explore the community beyond campus. With classes, residence halls, dining halls and libraries all on campus, it is easy to forget that there are several towns near Chapel Hill that are begging to be explored. Have nothing to do on a Saturday? Go walk around and explore Carrboro. Check out Raleigh’s night life. Go ice skating at the Sportsplex in Hillsborough. As a part of the UNC community, you are also a part of the Triangle community.
- Sit in the Pit for at least one hour. Because of its central location, the Pit is a hub of activity on campus. Have a seat on the bricks and people-watch, see student organization performances, and take it all in. You’d be surprised how much you can see in an hour!
- Take at least one class simply because you want to. Because of UNC’s rigorous academics, it is easy to fall into a pattern of taking courses only because they fulfill a graduation requirement. Take at least one course because it sounds fun. UNC is one of the best places to explore your interests. Take advantage of it!
Study in Wilson Library. Most of us see the gorgeous and historic Wilson Library and think of it as some sort of museum, but did you know you can actually study in there? You can write your next term paper surrounded by the works of great authors, some of them centuries old. If you’re lucky, maybe some of the awesomeness will rub off on you.
- Climb to the top of the bell tower. Every year, graduating seniors are invited to climb to the top of the bell tower to sign their names and come back down with bragging rights. Don’t miss your chance to see the UNC campus from a whole new perspective!
- Leave your Heelprint. One of my favorite quotes is, “Be the cause of wonderful things.” Cause something wonderful while you are at UNC. Touch someone’s life in such a way that he or she will never forget you. Make lasting friendships. Leave your mark. Give back to the place that has given so much to you.
What do you want to do before graduation?